Definition of group insurance
A significant number of Canadian employers offer group insurance coverage to their employees. Such insurance is important because it protects the financial security of employees and their families, besides providing easier access to many types of health care.
Most group insurance plans include the following coverage.
Life insurance for employees or their dependents: in the event of death of an employee or one of his/her dependents (spouse or child), a cash amount is paid to the beneficiaries.
Disability insurance (wage loss replacement): enables employees to receive part of their salary in the event of disability.
Health insurance (medical care): provides coverage supplemental to government healthcare plans. Several expenses are reimbursed in full or in part, including:
- Prescription drugs
- Paramedical care (e.g.: chiropractor, physiotherapist, osteopath, etc.)
- Medical supplies and devices (e.g.: crutches, hearing aids, etc.)
- Eye examinations
- Emergency during a stay abroad
Dental care: reimbursement in full or in part of certain expenses incurred when visiting the dentist, such as cleaning, examinations, fillings, etc.
Accidental death and dismemberment: in the event of a serious accident, an additional amount could be paid in case of death or dismemberment (e.g.: paraplegia, amputation, etc.).
Employee assistance program: additional service provided to employees and their families, which usually includes:
- Psychological assistance – consultation with professionals
- Personal problems
- Marital and family problems (separation, divorce, childrearing, etc.)
- Emotional disorders (depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Addiction (alcohol, drugs, medications, Internet, gambling, etc.)
- Eating disorders
- Professional problems
- Difficult interpersonal relationships
- Professional doubt
- Personal problems
- Legal assistance – consultation with professionals
- Labour law
- Family law
- Property law
- Civil law
- Consumer protection
Click here to learn about the advantages of providing a group insurance plan.